Wednesday, April 13, 2011

reflecting...

I sold my Saturn this morning.  It's an incredibly bitter-sweet feeling, which I am starting to think life is just going to continue to be full of as I get older.

On my 16th birthday, I was in my mom's car with her and my dad, and my dad told me he needed to stop by someone's house from work to drop something off.  I remember being kind of irritated.  It was "my day," and we had to go out of "my" way to do something, but I got over it.  When we got to the house, my dad walked up and knocked, but while he was out of the car, my mom handed me my birthday card.  I told her I would wait until dad got back to open it, but she told me to go ahead.  When I opened the card, there was a picture of a car in it - the car we were parked right next to.  It took me a second to figure it out, but when I did, I was the HAPPIEST 16 year old in the world.

I had NO idea I would be getting a car, and I know how lucky I was that they did everything they could to get it for me.

Of course, I have complained about the car over the past 6.5 years, and at one point I even "totaled" it, but it has been the most reliable little car.  Plus, I have some pretty great memories in that car.  Like my first kiss with Dan.  Or getting stuck in Dan's drive way in the snow.  Or getting stuck driving to school in the snow!  Trying to make my flags fit for guard.  Packing it full of friends to drive to school each morning, and packing it full of stuff to come off to college with.

That's why it's so hard to let go.  To me, this seems so symbolic of growing up and moving on with life.  I am learning to love my new(for me) jeep, but I'm not as comfortable with it, yet.  Which is life.  Changes have to happen, and we have to get use to them to prepare for more changes.


Who knew this would be so emotional for me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment