Saturday, December 14, 2013

Christmas Crafts!

It's Christmas break, y'all!  I am SO relieved to have a month off of school, and I have some big plans to do a whole lotta NOTHING!  I will catch you up on the end of the semester...and the disappointment of what was supposed to be a graduation today, but for now, I thought I would share a few Christmas crafts that I have done recently :)

First up - Personalized Ornaments!


I made these for the nieces and nephew.  I wanted to get them all a personalized ornament because it is such a fun keepsake, but then I saw this on pinterest and thought it would mean even more if I made them!  All you need are some clear plastic ornaments, letter stickers, red and green spray paint, and glitter spray paint.

Put the stickers on the ornament, then spray paint it the base color.  When that dries, do another coat with the glitter paint.  After that all dries (I actually waited a couple days), peel the stickers off, and ta-da!  Personalized ornaments :)


Next, I made a reversible block decor.  Please excuse my lack of step-by-step pictures.  Apparently I don't have the crafting blog, picture-taking stuff down yet.

I started with a 2x4 that I had Dan cut down into 7 pieces.  2 were about 4.5 in, 2 were about 5.5 in, and 2 were about 7in.  The last piece was just cut to be long enough for the 2 smaller squares to sit on.  Then, I stained the blocks so that they had a finished look on the edges that wouldn't be covered with the decorations.  After the stain dried, I cut pieces of scrapbook paper a smidgen (that's a pretty precise measurement) smaller than each block, and modge podged them on.  Specifically, I did a layer of MP, stuck the scrapbook paper on, did another layer of MP, and after that dried, did a final layer of MP.  That covered the Thanksgiving side of things!  Then I flipped the blocks over and followed the same steps for the Christmas side! 


I also put one layer of MP on the sides of each block so that they had the same glossy finish.  Things started to come together here!  I bought some letters from Michaels to hot glue on to each side, as well as some stickers for the smaller block.  (The stickers needed another layer of MP...apparently they didn't really feel like sticking to dry MP.)



I was so excited with how it turned out!  I didn't get to display the Thanksgiving side this year, but the Christmas side makes me smile each time I see it on my mantel! 

Has anyone else been feeling crafty?  Find any quick, easy, and cute crafts on pinterest?

No comments:

Post a Comment