Monday, March 31, 2014

our engagement story


Today marks 2 years since my now husband asked me to marry him! Dan and I had been together for 7.5 years, I think, when we got engaged. It gets hard to keep track. Anyway, I totally knew it was coming. You aren't with someone for that long and get "surprised" with a proposal.

Against my will, Dan took me to look at rings. I KNEW that if I looked, I would fall in love. I told him over and over that I would love any ring he picked out for me (within the specific guidelines I had laid out!) He didn't listen, and so we went to look together. I was right. Every ring I put on, I loved. How can you not love a huge rock on your hand in those stores with the lights that are made to make them shine?! I was telling him, "See? I told you I would love whatever you picked out." Well then the lady had one more collection to show us. I put on what is now my ring, and I didn't want to take it off. I was also right about that. 

I then proceeded to open the link to the ring on his computer. Constantly ask him if he had been back to the store. Always talk about how "perfect" it was. Then I would remind him that it was completely his fault that I was head over heels for this ring!

I also started to bug him about when we would actually get engaged. I reminded him that I needed time to plan, and that I had already decided WHEN we should get married, so I needed the ring so I could share the news. The poor guy. I can't help that he wanted to marry a control freak. I hate surprises, and I need to know the details of pretty much everything, so I can't say that any of the engagement was a surprise. I slightly regret that, but I also know that I have no self control to behave any other way, so there ya have it.

He woke me up to go to Forest Park on a Saturday morning. This is not something we normally do, so I knew it was the day! I picked out some cute clothes (because I had informed him that SOMEONE BETTER BE TAKING PICTURES OF THIS!). Off we went. At the fountain near the zoo, one of my favorite places in Forest Park, he got down on his knee and asked me to be his wife.

(Side note. He had me sit down first. So the picture isn't nearly as dramatic as I wanted. Thanks, Dan.) ;)

I couldn't tell you what he actually said. And even though I expected it, it was still a great moment. I am so lucky that he chose me to be with. Even with all my crazy. He is such a good man, and I know he loves me unconditionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment