Monday, June 3, 2013

Officially a Mrs!

People.  I am MARRIED!  Today, I am going to try and recap the day - I really want to have some details written down so that later I can remind myself.  Before I get into details, I will say, there were ups and downs.  There were moments I was ANGRY, but that's who I am, I guess.  I get slightly frustrated when I feel as thought people are trying to "baby" or protect me, and I get straight up angry when I don't think people are really listening to me.  But two times during a 16 hour day is NOT BAD! ;)  Overall, it was everything I wanted - we were surrounded by so many people that loved us, the ceremony was pretty quick and painless ;), and I had a blast at the reception - and everyone I talked to at least lied and said they did, too!

I should begin with the day before.  There was tux fitting stress.  There was a missing deposit check.  There seemed to just be a lot of stress.  I was not in the best mood that day, to be honest.  Which is kind of a let down because I told myself that I would be happy either way, but there is just A LOT to deal with the day before.  It kind of sucks.  Things began to slightly improve by the rehearsal.  Prior - I took some time to get ready with Melissa and Sarah and just try to relax.  During the rehearsal, I cried like a huge baby - it was extremely emotional, and I'm not sure why!  I got frustrated with the lack of support/help from some people, but I was reminded that those that have been extremely helpful and supportive throughout the whole process completely make up for it.  Also, my aunt gave me beautiful claddagh earrings that my grandmother had given her on her wedding eve.  It meant so much to me.  I will treasure them forever.

So I woke up at 5am, looked at my clock, and realized I had an hour and 45 minutes to continue to sleep.  I rolled over and tried to go back to sleep.  At 6am, I was up for good.  I tried to eat a banana and a bagel with strawberry cream cheese.  I forced down half a bagel and half a banana.  So. Not. Hungry.  I got dressed, made myself a mimosa, and headed off to the salon with Dani.  We stopped at Sbux, where I got a free drink.  Love.  Zach's mom did my hair and make-up, and I was very happy with it!  Bonnie is so sweet/supportive/fun!  The hour and a half went by quickly  and it was stress-free.  I loved it!  After our hair, we headed back to the hotel to get dressed.

This is when the first stressor hit.  My dad had to be in Champaign at 9:15 to pick up a tux that Michelle's effffffed up.  When he picked it up, there was not shirt, vest, or tie in the bag.  They assured my dad that we already had all of that - we didn't.  They specifically told us to leave it the day before so that they could put it all in one bag.  No one wanted to tell me we were missing all of this stuff, so when they finally did, everyone went into a chorus of "it will be OK...it will all work out."  I had my first break down.  I told everyone that I did not want to hear one more person tell me it would be OK.  I KNEW it would be ok.  I KNEW they were on their way with the rest of the tux.  I KNEW he would have something to wear.  So I didn't need to HEAR everyone say it.  I felt a little bad for snapping, but when it came down to it, I was allowed to be mad that this completely unnecessary stressor was happening.  It was not ok for Michelle's to make these mistakes, and it was frustrating.  Thankfully, Lauren called Michelle's to verify that they were bringing EVERYTHING and Joshy was ready for our "first look."  This was also the few minutes that I was confused about why my mother was not there when I went to put my dress on.  She went home to get ready, which confused me, so we went ahead and got started.  I had places to be, people!  So we got the dress, veil, garter, and shoes on!  I was ready to go!  After my freak out, I felt better, and I was very excited!  We got to the church, they hid me away, and got Dan situated for our "first look."  I am SO glad we did this.  It let us take a moment to breathe together, and it really helped calm me down. 

I don't remember feeling particularly nervous when I was waiting to see Dan.  I just walked right out and grabbed his hand.  He was really surprised by my dress, told me I was beautiful, that he loved me, and gave me a big hug.  I was really happy with that few minutes :)

After seeing Dan, I went to hide again so that our wonderful photographers could set up my brothers and dad for our "first look."  I really wanted to have this moment with my dad and brothers.  They have taught me about love and how a guy should treat a girl.  I owe everything to them.  They told me I was "gorgeous," gave me some big hugs, and took some great pictures with me that I am really excited to see!

We then took some family pictures outside before going back to the staging room to wait for the ceremony!  I felt a little hungry.  The girls were eating some torpedoes, but I was not feeling it.  I forced down half of a half of a bagel.  Yep.  Then we waited.  For what seemed like forever.  When the girls finally had to line up, I got excited.  As I stood with my dad, watching the girls go down the aisle, I was so happy!  It was about to happen!  I tried to keep the mood light with my dad.  I think we both did good.  No tears!

Except from Dan.  :)  When we got close enough, I saw him standing there, teary eyed, too shocked to move?  I had to motion to him to come meet me and my dad!  My dad hugged me, and handed me off to Dan, who I attempted to quietly console ;)  There was a Literagy of the Word  before we said our vows, so we all sat down and listened to the readings and homily.  Then the wedding party joined us in the sanctuary for our vows.  Dan did pretty good when it was his turn.  No tears.  When it was my turn, he started to get teary eyed.  I tried to give him my "hey now...DO NOT MAKE ME CRY!" face.  At one point, I had to giggle to lighten the mood.  I was SHOCKED I didn't cry.  Guess we were just at peace.  When it was time for the rings, Dan's didn't really want to go on.  After some gentle pushes, I got it on, tapped his hand, and we were done-zo!  We had our first kiss, walked down the aisle, and went and hung out in the staging room until everyone was outside for bubbles!

Everyone was all sorts of surprised afterwards that I didn't cry.  All the groomsmen lost the bet ;)  It was nice to have a few minutes of just laughing with everyone in the room.  When everyone was outside, Dan and I made our "escape" into the limo, went around to the side of the church, then went back inside for more pictures.

The days second stressor.  Holy moly.  Trying to get everyone to pay attention and do what we ask was difficult.  We finally got through them all.  We think.  We hope.

After the church pictures, we went outside for some more "fun" wedding party pictures.  We really had a ton of fun!  Aidan worked herself into I think EVERY wedding party picture.  She is such a ham.  I can't wait to see them all :)

Next, we loaded up the limo and headed to ISU.  We had some wine/beer during the travel, and when we got there, we just sat in the limo for a few minutes.  Overall, I think the limo may have been the biggest waste of money.  It literally drove us 5 minutes, and we sat in it for 10 additional minutes...for nearly $700.  haha.  BUT!  It was nice to just be in the limo, have a drink, and hear the laughter coming from the party.  Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, and that meant a lot to me!

At ISU, we took a few more pictures as a group.  I went on a bathroom search...all over the second floor...my feet didn't hurt or anything ;)  Then Dan and I did a few more "just us" pictures.  I hope there were a lot of good ones.  Love my wedding party, but definitely want an abundance of "just us" to look back on!

Then the party started.

PEOPLE!  MY RECEPTION WAS AMAZING!  I loved every. single. moment. of it.  Walking in was fun.  Our sand ceremony went well.  I only spilled a little.  Dan poured the wrong way so it looks like all white sand with a little purple thrown in...but it's all good ;)  We got through the sand ceremony, our welcome/thank you, and the blessings in about 5 minutes.  Haha.  We were super early for dinner.  They didn't even have the salads served, yet, but it was all good.  We encouraged people to go get drinks and chit chat while we waited.  The food was pretty good!  I had part of my salad, a thin slice of beef, some potatoes, some strawberries, and a delicious roll.  Dan and I then went and made it around his side of the room saying "hello" to our guests.

Next, it was time for the toasts, so we went back up to our table, and listened to our wonderful Maid of Honor and Best Man give their toasts.  Dani was pretty emotional, and it was sweet.  Zach did a great job, too.  It was wonderful to hear what they had to say.  I appreciated them doing that for us.  Then we cut our cake.  Dan was well behaved.  He got a little on my nose, but he followed my directions of NOT ruining my dress/make-up ;)  It was a tasty cake!  After we cut the cake, they had desert.  I had the cheesecake, and it was FABULOUS!  We were happy with it!

Next, I think, we did the first dances.  Dan and I danced to "True Believers" by Darius Rucker.  Then I danced with my daddy.  We started with Heartland "I Loved Her First."  We may have cried a little ;)  and we supposedly made ALL of the groomsmen cry.  SUCCESS!  Halfway through, I surprised my dad as the DJ switched to Guns N Roses "Sweet Child O Mine."  My daddy sang it all to me.  It was great.  I think I successfully lightened the mood, and it made him happy to hear it.  Then we did our dollar dance.  We had chosen 2 songs.  It lasted 4!  And I made $1 more than Dan.  So ha!  It was a good opportunity to quickly see a lot of guests!

After the dancing, we threw the bouquet and garters.  Aidan got my bouquet.  Of course ;)  She was so excited.  Joshy caught the garter ;)

Then the dance floor opened up!  The DJ kept the upbeat music going all night.  I had a great time dancing with friends from so many different stages in my life.  Some wonderful friends from undergrad at SLU were there (Colleen and her bf Hoover, Sylvia, Leah, Lauren, and Keith).  My favorite ladies from SIUe also made the trip (Kari, Lacey, Kacee, Christina and her bf Carlos, and Elisabeth and her fiance Sergiy).  These two groups kept the dance floor alive!  As well as Dan's cousins.  They were having a BLAST!  The bridal party also kept the party going by staying out and dancing.   Dan also had wonderful work friends that came.  I was lucky enough to have some of my favorite high school/life teen ladies there (Liz and Tabi!)  Overall, there were so many wonderful friends and family there keeping the atmosphere everything I wanted it to be.  It was great!

Aidan had some HILARIOUS moments.  As always.  She was sleepy but kept saying how she was going to "party all night!"  She also requested "Call Me Maybe" and sang every. word.  I should also say that she kept the mood light ALL DAY!  She told me how beautiful I was, even if she wasn't looking at me when I asked ;).  At the rehearsal, I gave her a handkerchief with a super cute little "use this as something old when you get married" (that is a paraphrase!), but as I was reading it, I cried...because that's what I did ALL. FREAKING. NIGHT.  Anyway, she started by touching my head, then gave me a huge hug saying "it's ok." and that she loves me.  Seriously.  She is the sweetest girl in the world.  Everyone loved having her around all day.  It was a long day for her, too, but she was such a champ.  Good mood, smiling face, cheerful/encouraging comments all day.  I couldn't have imagined a more perfect flower girl!

The dancing then continued throughout the night.  It appeared as though everyone had a great time!  I really appreciated the love we were surrounded with.  I do wish, as everyone says, there was more time to spend talking to guests that spent so much of their time coming to celebrate, but I hope everyone understands how much was going on!  I hope I was able to at least say "hi" and "thanks" to everyone!

OK - now for some pictures...


first dance!


Cake!

Mr. and Mrs!

perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment